Saturday 15 September 2007
Big Boy was in a sleepy mood today and not too keen on the ground which is getting harder and harder due to the lovely weather we are having this month!
We started with usual 25 minutes on a chambon and he looked a little stiff and tense but willing to stretch. After 10 minutes he relaxed and produced a much better, swinging trot. Despite rather warm weather he didn't sweat much. We worked a lot on transitions but he was taking the mickey and jogged a lot. I think it stemmed from his overall tension today as once he relaxed his reactions to my commands were much better. I asked for about 30 to 40 transitions from trot to walk and upwards and will be asking for the same pattern next time. Although the quality of transitions was not good today (trot-jog-jog-walk) he is getting the message as once I got on him he was much softer and responded nicely to me changing his flexion.
I rode him for 40 minutes, first in walk only, doing a lot of changes of rein and asking for changes of flexion. Initially he was a little stuffy and slow in reactions to my aids and strong on the reins. I took him through 10-15 transitions from walk to halt to get him to listen to my rein aids and it worked a treat. After 15 minutes of walk work I could do a lovely 5 loop serpentine with Columbus chewing the bit nicely and releasing tension in his jaw.
Trot work started as a hard work and, as the ground was not too good, I didn't push for long trot periods. I again worked on transitions and dare I say it, he is getting better :) I will probably find him strong again next week but I have a feeling he is really trying to understand and oblige.
He also feels much more capable of delivering longer and more demanding work thanks to his owners putting some substantial work into exercising him as often as possible. The winter is also looking good in this respect as owners will be able to use a fantastic, massive field just down the road!

My plan for Columbus for next week is to repeat chambon session as usual asking for frequent transitions. In the saddle, I want to concentrate on circles and obedience so more transitions work in the pipeline!

0 comments:

PREFACE

Hi, my name is Columbus and up until July 2007 I didn't really have to do much. I know I am a rare breed i.e. I am special and so everybody should treat me like a king. I mean, I spend all days with two nice Connemara ladies; we chat, eat and enjoy life! What more could one want!
I am an easy going chap but if I don't understand something I can get stroppy and will let you know I am not quite happy, that is for sure.
I have great owners but Lady Owner (who also owns this nice grey mare -Rosie- I share my field with) decided she wanted some lessons and so I somehow got involved.
I was not overly happy with my first training session but then my Owners got a little more involved. I started getting more attention and I figured that this whole training might not be too bad...Then I heard Wiola saying I have 'presence' and 'could be great with a bit of training' so I thought I would participate in this circus...for now!

Wiola decided to keep this diary to record my progress. Well, I won't be arguing...