Thursday 30 August 2007
Today I had an absolutely fantastic session with Columbus! We started with 30 minutes session on a chambon and he worked beautifully, really stretching down and working through.
His walk was good, he overtracked very well.


First 20 minutes of trot work was excellent with consistent rhythm and he looked very powerful, relaxed and supple.



He was tired in the last 10 minutes but still worked well.
Our problem are transitions because he joggs with very high head carriage just before going for a walk. I therefore asked him to slow down the trot to almost the jogg he so likes but then asked him to flex and stretch. He was not too happy about it first but then his head carriage improved after a few tries. It seems quite difficult to him to carry himself well in a very slow pace and so I continued to ask him to slow down, relax, stretch and then I sent him off forward again. I worked on such changes of gears for about 10 minutes. He showed an improvement but was still too tense to be pleased with the level of work.
In general though I was impressed by how he went. It was a lovely piece of work and certainly a great one for Columbus.

I then rode him for 25 minutes. We worked on flexion, acceptance of the outside rein and inside bend. Although still rather reluctant Columbus definitely felt much better than last week and I was able to execute a few good circles to the right and some decent ones to the left. He also chewed the bit very nicely creating substantial amount of white foam ;) Nice change after his dry mouth.

Mrs. Owner brought some old pictures of Columbus and Rosie to show me and they were so stunning I just had to put them on here!













This is Columbus and Mr. Owner showing in a Cleveland Bay class three years ago.
Below is Columbus having a jolly jump! I am told he loves jumping natural fences outdoors but due to his rather big body and rather small amount of schooling he is not a big fan of show jumping as such...;)



And below again is Columbus and Rosie with Mrs. and Mr. Owners!

0 comments:

PREFACE

Hi, my name is Columbus and up until July 2007 I didn't really have to do much. I know I am a rare breed i.e. I am special and so everybody should treat me like a king. I mean, I spend all days with two nice Connemara ladies; we chat, eat and enjoy life! What more could one want!
I am an easy going chap but if I don't understand something I can get stroppy and will let you know I am not quite happy, that is for sure.
I have great owners but Lady Owner (who also owns this nice grey mare -Rosie- I share my field with) decided she wanted some lessons and so I somehow got involved.
I was not overly happy with my first training session but then my Owners got a little more involved. I started getting more attention and I figured that this whole training might not be too bad...Then I heard Wiola saying I have 'presence' and 'could be great with a bit of training' so I thought I would participate in this circus...for now!

Wiola decided to keep this diary to record my progress. Well, I won't be arguing...